BOK CHOY KOOTU/DHAL - BOK CHOY WITH LENTILS
(Image source: Wikipedia)
I have been cooking with bok choy (Chinese cabbage) for quite some time. I usually add them to noodles and soups. This time I tried making a simple dhal with bok choy. Bok choy has a very mild taste and blends well with the lentils and the spices added in the dhal. I do not add tamarind for my dhal preparations since we usually have this kind of dhal with rice and rasam. Tamarind juice can be added according to preferences.
1. Moong dhal, 1 cup.
2. Bok choy, 2-3.
3. Small onions, 1 cup.
4. Tomatoes, small, 2.
5. Chili powder, 1 teaspoon.
6. Coriander powder, 1 teaspoon.
7. Sambar powder, ½ teaspoon.
8. Garlic, 3 cloves.
9. Mustard seeds, 1 teaspoon.
10. Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon.
11. Asafetida, 1 pinch.
12. Salt as per taste.
13. Turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon.
14. Curry leaves, 1 sprig.
15. Chopped cilantro, ¼ cup.
Wash the moong dhal and bok choy well. Extract thick juice from the tamarind and keep aside. Chop the bok choy and tomatoes into small pieces. Peel the onions and crush the garlic coarsely. Take a pressure cooker or a pressure pan and add 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot enough, add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Then add the cumin seeds and asafetida let them fry for 30 seconds. Now add the small onions and curry leaves and sauté for a few minutes until the onions are transparent. I have left the onions whole here; they can also be diced and added. Now add the diced tomatoes along with the crushed garlic and bok choy and keep sautéing for a few minutes until the tomatoes are well mashed. Add 2 cups of water along with the moong dhal, turmeric powder, and all the powders, salt as per taste and pressure cook for about 10-15 minutes up to 3 whistles. Once the pressure is released, garnish with chopped cilantro, mix everything well, and serve hot with idlis, dosas, rotis, or rice.
- ► 2012 (9)
- MUTTAI SADAM/ EGG RICE
- MUSHROOM AND PEAS MASALA / GRAVY
- BROCCOLI PORIYAL/ STIR FRY
- TANDOORI CHICKEN
- BAKED BEANS – PRESSURE COOKER METHOD
- MIXED NUTS OATMEAL AND RAISIN COOKIES
- BOK CHOY KOOTU/DHAL - BOK CHOY WITH LENTILS
- KUMQUAT PICKLE - SPICY
- PASTA BRIYANI AND MASALA BREAD
- TOFU IN HOT GARLIC SAUCE
- MIXED VEGETABLES AND SPROUTS KICHADI – DIET SERIES...
- XAGAVE AND PEANUT CHIKKI WITH XAGAVE
- CRACKED WHEAT USILI – DIET SERIES #2
- BROWN RICE AND LENTIL SOUP – DIET SERIES #1
- SALMON CAKES/ CUTLETS
- ▼ May (15)
- ► 2009 (71)